You are here: Admissions / Transfer Students / Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer Credits from Colleges or Universities

Crossroads accepts academic credits transferred from other colleges and universities according to the following criteria:

  • The college or university must be an institution of higher education accredited by a regional accrediting body (e.g. NCA, SACS, WASC), an appropriate professional accrediting body (e.g. NASM, NCATE), or by the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE). Other educational experiences will be considered on a case-by-case basis under the Credit for Other Life Experiences policy (described below). Crossroads College reserves the right to withhold recognition of credits awarded by any college or university that does not, in the opinion of the Academic Office, meet reasonable academic standards.
  • Students must have completed the transferred courses, earning a minimum grade of "C" (or "P" if the courses were offered on a Pass/Fail basis).
  • The transferred courses must apply to a Crossroads degree program as the equivalents of required courses (i.e. providing a similar knowledge base and/or competencies), or as appropriate electives.
  • The transferred courses must be of the appropriate level (e.g. a 3000- or 4000-level course if the Crossroads requirement calls for an Upper Division elective).
  • Crossroads evaluates the credentials of international applicants on the basis of the standards published by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) or by appeal to the National Liaison Committee of Foreign Student Admissions. Students who transfer credits from non-English-speaking countries must provide Crossroads with a certified translation of transcripts and course descriptions. A copy of the transcript in the native language must accompany the certified translation.
  • Crossroads does not grant credit for remedial coursework, high school level courses (apart from the Advanced Placement program described below), or General Education Development (GED) tests.
  • Crossroads does not grant credit for duplicated courses (e.g. Beginning Composition completed at Crossroads and Freshman English completed at another college).
  • If a course has been repeated for credit, the last grade earned will be used in the evaluation of the acceptance of credit.
  • Crossroads College does not count grades earned for transferred courses when computing a student's grade point average (GPA). In their Crossroads coursework, students must achieve a minimum accumulated GPA of 1.90 for an A.A. degree, or 2.00 for a bachelor's degree, in order to graduate from the college.

Transfer of Credits from Vocational or Technical Colleges, or from Institutes

Credits earned at vocational or technical institutions, which are equivalent in content to required Crossroads courses, may be transferred to Crossroads according to the policies stated above. In the traditional daytime program, a maximum of 8 such credits may be transferred to Crossroads as general electives. The limit does not apply to the Compass adult accelerated degree completion program. If students have completed vocational programs based on clock hours, rather than credit hours, then transfer credit will be computed on the basis of 50 clock hours equaling 1 semester credit hour.

Credit for Military Training

The Minnesota State Department of Education has approved Crossroads for the education of veterans. Military training courses are evaluated according to the guidelines set forth by the American Council on Education (ACE) as published in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. Students must submit all pertinent documentation to the Registrar for evaluation. Crossroads also awards two semester hours of Physical Education credit for basic training.

Credit for Business and Industry Training

Business courses are evaluated according to the ACE "National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs" and/or the National Program on Non-College Sponsored Institutions (PONSI). Students must submit all pertinent documentation to the Registrar for evaluation.

Credit for Other Life Experiences: The Independent Learning Review (ILR)

The faculty of Crossroads College recognizes that many students come to the school with college-level competencies that have been developed experientially or attained outside the traditional college classroom. Students who enroll in a degree program at Crossroads may obtain college credit for such competencies by successfully completing an Independent Learning Review (ILR).

Students requesting an ILR must assemble appropriate evidence for each claimed competence and submit it to the Vice President of Academics. Evidence of competence may be illustrated, for example, through certificates, demonstrations, examinations, interviews, job descriptions, licenses, memoirs, papers, products, publications, publicity, references, and other appropriate materials. Students must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and philosophical grounding taught in a course(s) required for their Crossroads academic program.

After receiving these materials, the Vice President appoints an ILR Committee made up of faculty members with expertise in the area(s) under consideration. The Committee then evaluates the evidence and sends its written recommendation to the Vice President. Based upon the recommendation, the Vice President may (1) award academic credit according to the level of mastery displayed by the student, (2) waive a required course(s) in the student's degree program or substitute a more advanced course in the same area, or (3) deny the student's petition for credit based on life experience.


Crossroads College
920 Mayowood Road SW
Rochester, MN 55902, USA
(507) 288-4563 or (800) 456-7651

Copyright 2014 Crossroads College